Friday, June 7, 2013

Dragonflies

Write it out...she says.  Ok, I can try to do that.  This one has been brewing since Sunday.  I've gone back to wearing my dragonfly necklace.  The huge charm that I bought at an airport kiosk three and a half years ago.  It's not where the dragonfly originated for me.....  It all started on a flea market trip a little over five years ago.  My sister and I went to the fairgrounds and walked around, "window" shopping, talking, and just getting out of the house.  It was maybe a few weeks after my husband and I separated and there was still internal struggle for me.  As we walked, we went by this jewelry booth.  Anyone who knows my sister, knows her "thing" is purses....this day, we were looking at sunglasses.  I remember spotting a gorgeous dragonfly necklace that had both dark and light blue gems.  As a Virgo, my birthstone is a sapphire and while I knew these gems were NOT even close to sapphires, it was beautiful.  The problem came from never wearing jewelry...not since I married at least.  Simple post earrings, a solid wedding band, and on occasion, a watch.  Jewelry was not a priority nor should it draw attention.  Let's leave it at that....  I showed April, tried it on, and put it back.  In my mind, it was a very large, noticeable, and I couldn't justify the expense.  I don't think I had ever worn anything more than a simple chain at that point.  I was 29 years old, newly single, and terrified of drawing attention to myself.  Sounds funny to those who know me now doesn't it?!?  I ended up buying it.  As silly as it sounds, it was the most difficult purchase I've ever made.  It's symbolism went far beyond the dragonfly.  I wore it daily until the chain broke.  It came from the flea market after all.  I bought a new chain as soon as I could because I literally felt lost without it.  After 2 years, the tail of the dragonfly broke off.  It was walking through the airport in Florida that I spotted the one I now wear.  They didn't have a blue one, just a pink one.  I bought it and wore it faithfully until over a year ago when I was given a smaller, more delicate one.  Recently, I've been wearing an angel heart.  Sunday, I decided I needed the strength my dragonfly gives me.  It's heavy actually....and comforting.

I've done a bit of reading...about dragonflies. For me, it symbolizes strength, independence, beauty, and flexibility.  It's also most often found near the water...like me!  One of the articles I read says that in almost every part of the world, the dragonfly symbolizes change and change in the perspective of self realization.  The fact that they are found near water, skimming the surface, represents the act of going beyond what is seen on the surface and looking at the deeper implications of life.  There have been dinosaur dragonfly fossils found proving that they have been around for 300 million years.  For a species that lives anywhere from six months to six years and spends most of it's life as a nymph, this is amazing to me!  As an adult dragonfly, they usually only live an average of two months.  That is long enough for them to mate.  There are legends, myths, stories, and horror stories about these creatures.  Then again, depending on who you talk to, you will get all those same things about people too.

Now that I've gone...on and on about this subject, it is time to go accomplish some important things.  Change, it's the only constant in life.  Well, that and taxes.  I'm heading up the stairs to iron Nic's shirt.  Tonight is 8th grade graduation and it's a family affair.  All dressed up and ready to shine...in about an hour.  Change, my oldest boy heading to high school.  Change,my youngest boy heading to middle school.  That's right....AJ did it!  He is officially going to be a 6th grader in the fall.  He rocked the EOG's and the decision was made to promote him!  Rock on my babies....your whole life is ahead of you and your Momma is your BIGGEST cheerleader!

I normally close...with a quote or a lyric.  Tonight there is enough anticipation in the house that I can't think clear enough to think of what I want.  I'm going to end without one...which means that this is not the end.  Only the beginning.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment