Friday, October 8, 2010

Auctions, Birthdays, and Fall rambles....

My mom asked me...the other morning on the phone if I had blogged again.  The answer was no, obvious to those of you that are following.  Sometimes the words are there, other times they are not.  Lately it has been more of a "not."  It's been a tough week.  I think that my mind is so full that nothing up there makes sense.  (OK peanut gallery, no sarcastic comments!)  There are things going on that many know about.  Such as my Gullie.  There are things going on that I have told no one about.  Life is tough.  It is a daily struggle.  I don't believe I am walking this alone.  There are moments where I wonder if the tests I am facing in life will ever conclude in a break that lasts longer than a few days.  I signed into MySpace tonight and read through some of my old blogs.  Amazing how the words can flow from me.  I almost transferred a few of them to here.  I may still do that!!  Oldies for sure ;)  It does remind me that I have faced some VERY tough times and pulled through.  Which leads me to my first thoughts.  Y'all hang on, it's gonna probably get more random than it already is.....

Saturday, October 2nd 2010...is a day that will forever be etched in my memory.  It was the day my mom and Aunt Linda had worked so hard towards.  The day that the entire family alternately dreaded and awaited.  The auction for my grandma's (from here on, known as Gullie, my name for her since I was little!) house and everything in it.  It was decided this was the best way to handle things and Momma and A Linda had spent months cleaning, sorting, scrubbing, and aching with memories.  My Aunt Candy came down and spent a weekend helping and April went once.  I wasn't able to make it to help, though I was always on the other end of the phone for Momma.  To listen to her cry, remember, get angry, and dread the upcoming auction.  The night before, I pretty much convinced myself that this was not going to be as hard as Momma warned me it might be.  I was going to be her moral support, even though the rest of the family was going to be there as well.  I should not have misjudged my emotions.  I didn't sleep well Friday night.  I was told I tossed and turned and basically made it obvious it was bothering me.  I stalled all morning getting ready, even to the point of being told we needed to head out cause I had made us late enough.  Contrary to popular occasion, I despise being late!  We drove separate cars since Richard had to go to work before the auction would end.  I kept telling myself, almost like a chant in my mind, it was going to be fine.  I was going to be fine.  As we approached the neighborhood entrance, I saw the signs.  That was when the pressure in my chest started, my eyes began to tear, and the memories flowed.  I remember getting up on summer mornings, hopping on my pink bike with the banana seat, and riding to my grandparents house.  Gullie would be at work and it was MY turn to help Pappap cut the grass.  I loved getting to ride the lawnmower while he watched to make sure I didn't run over the fence or the rock garden.  After the yard was finished, we would load the trash in his truck and head to the dump.  This was the best part.  Listening to him tell me stories, ask me about my summer, my friends, and feeling the wind from the open windows cool the sweat in my hair.  Then we would go to McDonald's for breakfast and more stories.  As I parked on the side of the road and waited for Richard to get out of the car, more memories came.  My Pappap holding Erin in the hospital.  Him holding Nicholas while sitting in his recliner.  He always called him "Nicky-Baby" and Nic would give his huge toothless grin with drool streaming off of his chin while my Pappap laughed.  My Pappap never got to meet AJ.  (bear with me, rambling between memories and the day of the auction)  I spotted Momma as I walked up and as I hugged her, I began to sob.  "I didn't expect it to hurt this much," was all I kept saying.  And it was the truth.  I knew we were doing what had to be done, I just didn't realize it would be so painful.  I pulled myself together and Richard and I went through the house.  Momma insisted I should walk through while I could.  I went very quickly and it was difficult but I felt it was necessary to see how hard they had worked.  It was completely empty  which was weird to me.  I never thought I would see the day.  We went back outside and began to wander the tables where all of the household stuff was displayed to view before the auction began.  Lo and Behold, I stumbled upon an ancient bible that I knew my grandma had held on to for many years.  I was in shock that it was on the table, though I do understand they were hoping to make as much money as possible to continue to pay for Gullie's care.  So begins the auction.  The auctioneer was good at what he did and with a bit of comedic relief, it was a bit easier as the day wore on.  Richard bought me a gift that day....yep, the "family" bible!


It is copyrighted 1882 and my Aunt Linda let me keep a letter that was written in 1884.  History in my hands!
The auction didn't go as well as we planned and we still have to sell the house.  Hopefully, it will sell quickly though this is a bad time of year to be selling.  OK, enough about that as it is still hard to think about.

So I'll throw in a bit more random...and say, "I LOVE FALL!"  It is crock pot weather and so far, we have had Jenn's Beer Can Chili and tonight I made Queso Dip.  I have a ham that I will throw in Monday night as I have to be @ the J-O-B for a mandatory meeting @ 1730....BLAH!  Monday's are always the days I try to sleep as late as possible.  It'll be OK since I'm counting on Mishie to keep me entertained!  Fall brings some of my favorite things.  Pumpkin Spice Latte's, Caramel Apple flavored coffee creamer, Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale, cool weather that lets me bring out my sweaters and boots, cerulean blue skies that Mother Nature brings forth to remind us of the beauty of her ways, and the burst of colors amongst the trees. It will soon be time for the Earth to bare it's soul and replenish for a springtime burst of color....in six months!  LOL

Nic's birthday was a success...as we were able to have a wonderful dinner on the 24th, then lots of family and friends who gathered to celebrate on the 25th.  We have gone almost every year since I can remember to Clemmons Forest in Clayton to have a picnic and take a walk through the "talking rocks and trees."  We aren't sure it will happen this year so we ended up having Nic's party there.  It was a huge success.  Rayford grilled hot dogs for all of us and we spent most of the time cracking jokes and misbehaving, as is the norm when we all get together!  The kids had so much fun and ran til they were sweaty little beings!  A few pictures for your viewing entertainment.....

The four of us gathered for Nic's Birthday Dinner

Nic being "serenaded @ TGI Friday's


My sweaty Birthday Boy taking a MUCH needed break!

AJ during a "sweet" moment holding hands with Savanna on our walk

Savanna and Nic

Poppa Joe, Kisha, Micheal, AJ, and Savanna listening to the "story" of the rock

So, If you've held on this long...I thank you.  I know I ramble, sputter, start, and stop, but blogging is my way of getting the words out of my head and down on "paper," so to speak.  I am going to go back to my Pumpkin Ale (so yummy!), Titanic is on, and Richard will be here shortly.  As always, remember, these are the moments that make up your life.  Even the bad ones....make each one count for something.

~trish

No comments:

Post a Comment